CESSNA U-3A BLUE CANOE
Popularly known in the Air Force as the “Blue Canoe,” the U-3 is the military version of the Cessna 310 light twin-engine transport. The prototype made its first flight on January 3, 1953. Production for the civilian market began in 1954, and in 1957, the USAF selected the aircraft for service as a light administrative liaison, cargo and utility transport.
The Air Force eventually bought 160 of the 310s “off-the-shelf” under the original designation L-27A, later changed to U-3A. Thirty-five more were delivered in 1960-61 as U-3Bs– all weather versions with more powerful engines, additional cabin windows, a longer nose and a swept vertical fin. These planes are common at many civilian airports. Engine oil capacity is six gallons per engine.
|Span:||35 ft. 8 in.|
|Height:||10 ft. 5 in.|
|Weight:||4,830 lbs. max.|
|Engines:||Two Continental O-470-Ms of 240 hp. each|
|Years in Service:||1955-1980 (Mil.)|
|Maximum Speed:||238 mph|
|Cruising Speed:||180 mph|
|Service Ceiling:||22,000 feet|